These Homemade Lemon Truffles are tangy, creamy and sweet. All you need is a few simple ingredients. After mixing the cake mix, sugar, butter, and lemon juice together, roll into small balls. Follow the recipe and the helpful video tutorial below!
Making homemade lemon truffles couldn’t be easier! Truffles are the perfect quick and easy treat for holidays and you can make them at home. Ditch the boxed truffles!
Video: Homemade Lemon Truffles
Lemon truffles are a deeply indulgent chocolate treat made from cake mix, butter and lemon juice. They’re essentially balls of cookie dough. And great news: the cake mix is baked and you don’t have to eat raw cookie dough!
Only 4 Ingredients in Lemon Truffles
Cake mix, sugar, butter, and lemon juice are the key ingredients in homemade lemon truffles. However, I add lemon zest for flavor. These are the best lemon truffles!
Cake Mix: 15 ounces of lemon cake mix is the base of lemon truffles. You can also use vanilla cake mix. Bake the cake mix on a baking sheet at 350°F for 5 minutes to avoid eating raw flour.
Butter: Use unsalted butter and melt it before adding to the cake mix. It transforms the balls into the creamiest truffles you will ever taste!
Sugar: Regular granulated sugar adds extra sweetness to your lemon truffles.
Lemon Juice: It’s best to use fresh lemon juice which adds extra tangy flavor to the truffles.
It’s important to follow the ratio of the recipe so that your lemon truffles won’t be too dry or too liquid. Stick to this recipe for truffle success!
How to Make Lemon Truffles in 4 Steps
- Bake the cake mix: Spread out the cake mix powder on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 350°F.
- Mix: In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, sugar, melted butter, lemon juice, and optional lemon zest until it forms a dough.
- Roll: Roll the dough into small balls and coat in sprinkles.
- Chill: Chill for about 1 hour to set.
Dealing with sticky dough: These are extra creamy lemon truffles. They are delicious but also sticky to roll. Here is my #1 trick and it makes rolling so much easier: you can butter your hands with solid cube of butter. After that, they are much less sticky to roll. You can watch how to do this in the video tutorial.
Troubleshooting lemon truffles
Even though it’s a quick and easy recipe, a few tips will help you to avoid the mistakes and make the best truffles.
The dough is too dry to shape: Add more melted butter and lemon juice gradually until you reach the right consistency. If rolled truffles are too dry for topping, you can mash the truffle between your palms and re-roll so it’s sticky enough for the topping.
The dough is too sticky: You’ll need to a little more cake mix if your dough is too gooey. If it’s too sticky to handle, see “dealing with sticky dough” above.
I used yellow sprinkles for the bright yellow color, but you can dust them with powdered sugar or dip them into melted white chocolate.
Homemade Lemon Truffles Recipe
These Homemade Lemon Truffles are tangy, creamy and sweet. All you need is a few simple ingredients. After mixing the cake mix, sugar, butter, and lemon juice together, roll into small balls.
- 1 box lemon cake mix (15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional
- 3/4 cup yellow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Pour the lemon cake mix onto a baking sheet and spread it evenly. (You can substitute vanillas cake mix.)
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the baked cake mix, sugar, melted butter, lemon juice, and zest until it starts to form a dough.
- Scoop some dough into a spoon and roll each into 1 1/2-inch balls. Tip: Butter your hands with the solid cube of butter, so that the balls won’t be too sticky to handle.
- Roll each truffle into the sprinkles to coat and set onto a separate plate or container.
- Chill for an hour to set.
- Cover tightly and store truffles in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: For longer storage, store the truffles in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before enjoying.
- Lemon cake mix: I use lemon flavor, but you can also use vanilla cake mix.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter, otherwise, your truffles can taste too salty.