If you’re a fan of baked fish, then you’re about to fall in love with this one! Baked cod is an easy to make dish that will fall off your fork and melt right in your mouth.
Prepared right in your oven, this dish heavily relies on the right temperature and the right amount of time. That leaves the question – how long do you bake cod at 350 degrees Fahrenheit?
Best Oven Temperature To Bake Cod Filet
We recommended that you bake the cod at 350 degrees F, it can become quite risky if you cook it at 400 degrees because it can overcook before you know it!
Another important note is that when you cook your cod at 350 degrees instead of 400 degrees, it can allow the fish to absorb more of your favorite seasonings. So just be patient and wait that extra 15 minutes it takes!
Correct Internal Temperature for Cod
Grab that thermometer and stick it right in the middle of the cod fish. If it reads an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit, then it’s done. Don’t let it get any more hot as it can become chewy.
How Long To Bake Cod In Oven At 350?
The question arises again – how long to bake cod in the oven at 350 degrees? All it requires is about 25 minutes! If you have thicker cod fillets, then aim to bake them for about 30 minutes.
The end result? A piece of fish that is both tender and succulent!
How to Tell When the Cod is Done Cooking?
The most dependable and trustworthy way to know is by using an instant-read thermometer. If it reads145 degrees Fahrenheit, then it’s ready!
If you don’t have a thermometer, then you can use a fork. If it flakes easily, then it’s probably ready to be removed from the oven.
Other Oven Temperatures To Bake Cod
|Oven Temperature||Baking Time|
|Thin Fillet||Thick fillet|
|350°F||25 min||30 min|
|375°F||20 min||25 min|
|400°F||10 min||12-15 min|
How To Bake Cod In The Oven
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, by using olive oil, butter or cooking spray, grease the aluminum foil. Place the fillets on the sheet, leaving space in between them to allow the hot air to circulate.
- Keep it easy and use salt, pepper, lemon juice and cayenne pepper to season your fish. If you want to step it up a notch, use a combination of butter, parmesan, garlic, coriander, basil and flour. Mix the ingredients in a bowl and spoon the mixture onto each filet.
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees and roast the fillets for 25 minutes. Pierce them with a fork to see if they flake. Let the fish cool down for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: It’s vital to watch the temperature and check on your fish. If the temperature gets too high, it can lead to overcooking and dry, chewy fish.
What To Serve With Cod
When cooking fish, you think light, fresh and healthy. That means it’s ideal to choose a side that will keep the meal light. Some great sides are side are fruit salsa, coleslaw, and glazed carrots. Or, if you want something more filling, then pair your cod with mac n cheese, Benihana rice, or penne pasta.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Cod Healthy?
Yes! It’s a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, packed with lean protein and vitamin B-12. However, it can be high in sodium – so keep that in mind and eat this fish in moderation.
What Does Cod Taste Like?
This tasty fish is said to have a mild taste with milky notes. However, this can differ, depending on what type of codfish it is. Atlantic cod can have a sweet flavor, while Pacific can have a more savory flavor.
How Long To Bake Cod In Oven At 425?
While not recommended – cod can take just 8 minutes to cook in the oven at 425 degrees. If you have a thicker filet, then aim for about 10 minutes in the oven. Again, use an internal temperature to check it’s cooked or use a fork to see if it flakes.
Oven Baked Cod at 350
- 4 cod fillets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 lemon juiced
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking sheet.
- Place the cod files on the prepared baking sheet and season with your favorite spices.
- Mix together butter, parmesan, flour, garlic, basil, onion powder, dijon mustard, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Using a spoon, place the mixture on each filet.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. This time may vary, depending on the thickness of your fish.