Creme de Menthe is a delightful and versatile mint-flavored liqueur that has been enchanting taste buds for centuries. Loved for its refreshing taste and vibrant green color, this liqueur adds a unique touch to various cocktails and desserts.
In this post, we’ll delve into the origins of Creme de Menthe, its flavors, types, and how you can make it at home. We’ll also explore some popular cocktails that feature this delightful liqueur and highlight the best brands to look out for when purchasing. Whether you’re a seasoned mixologist or a curious enthusiast, join us on this flavorful journey through the world of Creme de Menthe.
Table of Contents
What Is Creme De Menthe?
Creme de Menthe is a sweet, mint-flavored liqueur that originates from France. The name “Creme de Menthe” translates to “cream of mint,” hinting at the creamy texture and minty essence of the liqueur.
It is usually made from peppermint or spearmint leaves, which infuse the alcohol with their fresh and invigorating flavor.
History And Origins
The history of Creme de Menthe dates back to the late 18th century, when it was believed to have been created in the town of Saint-Mihiel, France.
Originally, the liqueur was crafted for medicinal purposes, as mint was thought to aid digestion and provide various health benefits.
As its delightful taste gained popularity, Creme de Menthe transitioned from a medicinal elixir to a beloved ingredient in the world of mixology.
What Does Creme De Menthe Taste Like?
Creme de Menthe offers a pleasant and pronounced mint flavor that leaves a cool, refreshing sensation on the palate.
Its taste can be described as a perfect balance between sweet and minty, with a touch of herbal notes from the mint leaves.
The liqueur’s vibrant green hue makes it an eye-catching addition to any cocktail or dessert.
Types And Varieties
Creme de Menthe comes in two main varieties: green and white.
Green Creme de Menthe is the more common variety, known for its vivid green color and stronger mint flavor.
White Creme de Menthe, on the other hand, is clear and has a milder taste, making it a popular choice for certain cocktails and desserts where the green color is not desired.
How To Make Creme De Menthe At Home
- Wash the mint leaves thoroughly and pat them dry.
- In a sealable glass jar, combine the mint leaves and vodka.
- Seal the jar and store it in a cool, dark place for about two weeks, shaking it gently every few days to help the flavors infuse.
- After two weeks, strain the mixture to remove the mint leaves, using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves completely to make a simple syrup.
- Let the simple syrup cool before adding it to the infused vodka.
- Bottle the mixture, and your homemade Creme de Menthe is ready to use!
Popular Cocktails And Drinks Made With Creme De Menthe
Creme de Menthe is a versatile liqueur that enhances various cocktails and drinks. Some popular choices include:
- Grasshopper: A classic cocktail made with equal parts Creme de Menthe, white Creme de Cacao, and cream, served in a chilled cocktail glass.
- Stinger: A simple yet sophisticated drink made by mixing Creme de Menthe and brandy, served over ice.
- Emerald Isle: A delightful cocktail featuring Creme de Menthe, Irish whiskey, and a dash of cream.
Best Creme De Menthe Brands
When it comes to purchasing Creme de Menthe, several reputable brands offer quality options. Some of the best brands to consider include:
- Tempus Fugit Spirits
Where To Buy Creme De Menthe
Creme de Menthe is widely available at liquor stores, specialty beverage retailers, and online marketplaces.
When shopping, look for well-known brands and consider whether you prefer the green or white variety to suit your taste and recipe needs.
Is Creme de Menthe alcoholic?
Yes, Creme de Menthe is an alcoholic beverage, usually ranging from 15% to 25% alcohol by volume (ABV).
How much does it cost?
The cost of Creme de Menthe varies depending on the brand and size of the bottle. On average, a 750ml bottle may range from $15 to $30.
Difference between green and white Creme de Menthe?
The main difference lies in their appearance and taste. Green Creme de Menthe is vibrant green and has a stronger mint flavor, while white Creme de Menthe is clear and has a milder mint taste.
Can I substitute Creme de Menthe with something else in a recipe?
In certain recipes, you can substitute Creme de Menthe with mint extract or other mint-flavored liqueurs, but it may alter the taste and appearance of the final dish or drink.
Does Creme de Menthe have mint flavor?
Yes, Creme de Menthe is known for its distinctive and refreshing mint flavor, derived from the infusion of mint leaves during the production process.
Grasshopper Cocktail Made with Creme de Menthe
- 1 ounce Creme de Menthe green
- 1 ounce white Creme de Cacao
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- ice cubes
- fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Fill a shaker with ice cubes.
- Add the Creme de Menthe, white Creme de Cacao, and heavy cream to the shaker.
- Shake well until the mixture is chilled and thoroughly combined.
- Strain the cocktail into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves. Serve and enjoy!