Cheap Dinner Teriyaki Chicken is a quick and easy Japanese recipe that can be made within 15 minutes. Tender chicken is tossed with sweet, savory, and garlicky teriyaki sauce and then served with rice and steamed broccoli. No marinating needed! It’s better than takeout from your favorite Asian restaurant!
Chicken meat is seared in a skillet with teriyaki sauce and then served with rice and vegetables. It’s so quick to prepare and perfect for busy weeknight dinners. You can also use this for meal prep as it lasts for 4 days in the refrigerator.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- chicken breasts
- vegetable oil
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- optional ginger powder
(Note: Full recipe is at the bottom of the post)
How To Make Teriyaki Chicken
- Sear cubed chicken breasts until golden brown.
- Make chicken teriyaki sauce and add it to the pan. Cook with the chicken until the sauce thickens.
- Mix the chicken with sauce thoroughly.
- Serve cooked chicken on top of steamed rice in a bowl with broccoli.
Quick and easy! Teriyaki chicken rice bowls will be on your dinner table in no time!
Tips and Tricks
- Both chicken breasts and chicken thighs work for this recipe. Cube them into 1-inch pieces for quick cooking.
- You can also use mirin and sake to make authentic teriyaki sauce if you have them. Use 1:1:1 ratio among soy sauce, mirin and sake. Add sugar according to your personal taste.
- Serve it over rice for a teriyaki chicken rice bowl. Or you can cook pineapple with your chicken for a teriyaki chicken pineapple bowl. For a healthy recipe you can serve with lettuce wraps or brown rice.
Can I Make It Ahead?
Yes, this recipe is great for meal prep and it reheats well. Store it in an airtight container and it’ll last for 4 days in the refrigerator.
How To Serve Teriyaki Chicken?
Traditionally this recipe is served with rice and broccoli, but it’s also great with pasta and other veggies such as green beans, carrots, and asparagus.
Cheap Dinner Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons honey or sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- optional 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Mix together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, garlic, cornstarch, and optional ginger powder in a small bowl.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat. Add oil.
- When the oil is hot, add chicken breasts. Fry for about 3 minutes per side (5-6 in total) until golden brown.
- Add teriyaki sauce to chicken and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat. Serve the chicken on top of rice in a bowl with steamed broccoli. Enjoy!