Start your day with a tasty and moreish helping of sweet potato hash breakfast! With just a few ingredients and a skillet, you can create this satisfying and delicious meal in only 30 minutes.
Are Sweet Potatoes Good for Breakfast?
Sweet potatoes are superb at any time of the day! Whether you bake, roast, boil, or sauté it, sweet potato is versatile and delicious with a delightfully creamy texture. Plus, this healthy carbohydrate is full of fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- bell pepper
- yellow onion
- sweet potato
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- green onion
How to Make Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- First, peel the sweet potato. Although the skin is very good for you (hello, extra fiber), it does not work that well in this recipe, so we recommend taking it off.
- Cube the potato into 3/4-inch pieces (slightly bigger than game dice). This ensures the potato cooks quickly and evenly.
- Soften onion and red bell pepper in the pan before adding the sweet potato. The vegetables add bulk and even more flavor to the dish.
- Add the sweet potato and allow it to brown for about 5 minutes. Pour in the water and cover the pan so the contents can simmer and the potato can soften. (Use chicken broth in place of water for more flavor or vegetable broth for a vegetarian version.)
- Add the seasoning and gently stir the potato so as not to mash it (allow it to get crispy in places if you can).
- Serve the hash hot or store it in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To reheat, pop it in the microwave or a nonstick skillet (covered) until steaming hot.
- Always use a nonstick skillet or pan to prevent the sweet potatoes from sticking.
- If you know you’re going to be pushed for time, this recipe can also be prepped in advance. Simply chop and cook all the ingredients, except for the eggs. Then when you’re ready, reheat it all in a skillet and give it a quick stir before adding the beaten eggs.
- This is a great recipe when you’re making breakfast for a lot of people, but you can also adjust the measurements to make a smaller portion if you need to.
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
Eggs are definitely our go-to ingredient to serve with sweet potato hash, but if you’re looking for other ideas, try these options:
- Fresh fruit
- Ham sautéed in a skillet or a delicious serving of maple candied bacon.
- Baked goods or pastries – perfect for a family brunch on the weekend.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash Recipe
- 4 slices bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 cups sweet potato peeled and diced
- ½ cup water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion chopped
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat and then cover a plate with a paper towel. When the skillet is ready, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and place on the plate.
- If you like, remove some grease from the pan using a paper towel. Toss in the bell pepper and onion and sauté until slightly softened.
- Next, add the sweet potato, water, cumin, garlic powder, and paprika and stir. Cover the pan and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender – about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid to allow any excess liquid to cook off. Using a wooden spoon, make a well in the middle of the hash and add the beaten eggs and bacon. Let the egg cook for a minute and then start stirring to scramble the eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss in the green onion. Mix well and serve.