Originally from Germany, bratwurst is a sausage that’s typically made with a blend of pork and veal, and seasoned with nutmeg, caraway, coriander, and ginger. What do you serve with brats? This simple entree is delicious with so many of your favorite side dishes. From pastas to potatoes to veggies, you’re definitely spoiled for choice.
What is a Good Side Dish for Brats?
Brats pair well with many classic side dishes. Besides the traditional sauerkraut, you can also serve it with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and fried rice.
Best Sides for Brats
What to Serve with Brats
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste, we used 1 teaspoon for each
- dill for garnish
- Slice each cucumber thinly. Then slice them into half-moons.
- Add sliced cucumbers and red onions to a large bowl.
- Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl to make the vinegar dressing.
- Pour the vinegar dressing over the cucumber and onion and toss to combine.
- Top with optional herbs. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.