Have you ever considered making a cheesecake without sour cream? If you have, then you’ve come to the right place! Below you will get the opportunity to make a cheesecake that’s both rich and creamy. It’s easy to make with just a few simple tips.
It’s one of those delectable desserts that’s completely versatile, specifically when it comes to topping choices! And if you’re familiar with making cheesecake, then you know it’s made with heavy cream or sour cream. But, what happens when you don’t have any sour cream on hand?
Well, you’ll be happy to know that there are a number of substitutions available. That means you can use yogurt, cottage cheese, creme fraiche and buttermilk.
With a simple cheesecake recipe, like the one below, you’ll be able to successfully make it without the use of sour cream.
Why Does Cheesecake Contain Sour Cream?
It’s simple – sour cream adds moisture to the cheesecake and creates a creamy consistency. It’s also what adds the cheesecakes tart flavor.
Best Substitutes for Sour Cream in Cheesecake
Full-fat Greek yogurt is another great option. It will give your cheesecake a creamy and moist texture while leaving the flavor just slightly tangy. If you have a difficult time finding Greek yogurt, swap in some full-fat regular yogurt instead.
A perfect substitute, Crème fraiche can provide the same distinctive tangy flavor that sour cream gives. It’s a cultured whipped cream that also gives your cheesecake the moisture it requires.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Cream Cheese
- Lemon Juice
How to Make Cheesecake Without Sour Cream
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the crust, beginning with the melted butter. Be sure to mix thoroughly.
- Grab a 9” pie pan that is 1 ¼’ high and press the crumbs into the bottom of it. Be sure to press some up to the sides of the pan as well.
- With an electric mixer, blend the softened cream cheese and sugar on low speed until smooth.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, and lemon juice and mix until smooth.
- Then pour the pie filling on top of the crust.
- Bake for at 350 F degrees for 30 minutes.
Tips For Making Cheesecake Without Sour Cream
- To avoid burning the edges, use a crust shield such as cake strips or strips of aluminum around the outside of the pan will help.
- If you don’t have crushed graham crackers, crush up your own in a food processor.
- Avoid overcooking the cheesecake.
You May Also Like
Cheesecake Without Sour Cream
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the pie filling:
- 2 cups two 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Stir together all of the crust ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Press the crumbs into a pie pan (9-inch).
- To prepare the filling, mix together the softened cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth and combined.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix until smooth.
- Add the pie filling to the pan on top of the crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes.