Pizza is one of the most popular take-out meals in the US – and for good reason! It’s cheesy and delicious, and one pizza tastes totally different from the next, depending on the toppings you use.
We’ve carefully selected some of our favorite toppings below for their taste, versatility, texture, and how well they complement other flavors. If you haven’t yet, give them a try and you’ll see what we mean!
You can’t go wrong with cheese on a pizza. The most popular option is creamy mozzarella.
Considered the #1 pizza topping in the U.S., pepperoni adds a salty and slightly spicy bite to pizza. It has a lot of flavor and pairs well with other ingredients.
Whether you prefer it mild or spicy, Italian sausage adds a meatiness to pizza. Its mild fennel taste pairs well with tomato sauce.
They say everything’s better with bacon, and it’s true with pizza. We love the flavor of real bacon cooked until it’s slightly crispy. The smoky flavor it adds is unmistakable.
Salty and savory, ham adds a distinctive flavor to pizza. It also has a great meaty texture.
There are two camps for this one. Some mushroom lovers prefer to have the mushrooms lightly sautéed before adding them to pizza, while others prefer them raw. Either way, mushrooms add an earthy flavor and a nice touch of texture to pizzas.
Onions add a bit of sweetness and texture to pizza but there are some who are dead-set against it. Raw onion can have quite a bite, so we like it slightly sautéed before adding it to pizza. It also pairs well with meat and other veggies.
Similar to onions, green pepper is best sautéed before adding it to pizza. It will be tender but still brightly colored.
A pizza dotted with olives is a work of art. They add a briny salty flavor that pairs beautifully with cheese and tomato sauce. If you prefer green olives, go ahead and use them. They have less oil than black olives but are equally tasty.
Homemade Pizza Recipe
- 1 ball homemade pizza dough
- ⅓ cup pizza sauce homemade or store-bought
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- supreme pizza toppings of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- On a floured work surface, add the pizza dough. Using your fingertips, stretch it out into a circle about 14 inches round.
- Spoon the pizza sauce onto the dough and use a brush to distribute evenly, leaving an inch open and uncovered around the edges for the crust.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly on top and then add your favorite toppings.
- Place the pizza in the prepared oven. Bake until the cheese is fully melted (about 7 to 8 minutes in a conventional oven or 2 minutes in a pizza oven).
- Remove from oven. Serve and enjoy!